Goods carried and transport performance
|Goods carried - thousand tons||18 069.3|
|of which: inland carriages||11 555.7|
|international carriages||6 513.6|
|Transport performance - million tkm||4 657.6|
|of which: inland carriages||2 780.2|
|international carriages||1 877.5|
National Statistical Institute
|Contact organisation unit|
"Short-term Business Staistics" Department
|Contact person function|
|Contact mail address|
2, P.Volov Str. Sofia 1038, Bulgaria
|Contact email address|
|Contact phone number|
+ 359 9857 190
|Contact fax number|
|Metadata last certified||04 August 2014|
|Metadata last posted||04 August 2014|
|Metadata last update||04 August 2014|
Goods carried measures the total volume of the transported goods by the railway transport between two places (place of loading and place of unloading).
Transport performance measured in tonne-kilometres corresponds to the transportation of one tone over one kilometre by the railway transport.
· Classification of Economic Activities (CEA-2008, for international use NACE.BG-2008) - 49.20 Freight rail transport;
· Unique Classification for transported goods NST 2007;
· Classification of Territorial Units for Statistical Purposes in Bulgaria - NUTS.
Data refer to the transportation of goods by the railway transport on the main routes, as well on short distances.
|Statistical concepts and definitions|
According to Glossary for transport statistics - Geneva which provides data comparability at European level.
Railway undertakings licensed for performing freight carriages at Bulgarian territory.
Railway undertakings that perform freight carriages.
National and international carriages
Since Ist quarter of 2000.
|Unit of measure|
Thousand tonnes; million tkm
|Legal acts and other agreements|
· Regulation (EC) No 91/2003 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 16 December 2002 on rail transport statistics;
· Commission Regulation (EC) No 1192/2003 of 3 July 2003 amending Regulation (EC) No 91/2003 of the European Parliament and of the Council on rail transport statistics;
· Commission Regulation (EC) No 332/2007 of 27 March 2007 on the technical arrangements for the transmission of railway transport statistics.
Common questionnaire of Eurostat, UN and ITF.
|Confidentiality - policy|
· Law on Statistics;
· Regulation (EC) No 223/2009 on European statistics (recital 24 and Article 20(4)) of 11 March 2009 (OJ L 87, p. 164), stipulates the need to establish common principles and guidelines ensuring the confidentiality of data used for the production of European statistics and the access to those confidential data with due account for technical developments and the requirements of users in a democratic society.
|Confidentiality - data treatment|
Data are not confidential.
Data are published according to the deadlines set in the National statistical program and the Release calendar - 60 days after the end of the reference period.
|Release calendar access|
The calendar is available on the NSI website: https://www.nsi.bg/en/node/480
Data are published on the internet site of NSI and can be accessed from all users of statistical information.
|Frequency of dissemination|
Quarterly and annual
|Accessibility and clarity|
Press release on transport
· Statistical Yearbook;
· Statistical Reference Book;
· "Bulgaria" (brochure).
Data on goods carried and transport performance are available to all users of the NSI website under the heading Domain statistics - Transport and Communications - Other annual data -Transport - Railway transport: https://www.nsi.bg/en/node/7185
|Documentation on methodology|
· Methodology on railway transport statistics;
· Reference Manual on Railway Transport Statistics issued by Eurostat.
Logical and arithmetical control of quarterly and annual data.
Common methods applied by Eurostat for quality assessment, incl. mirror checks for the international carriages.
Main users are state institutions, different organizations and specialized in the sector enterprises.
Only Bulgarian railway operators are covered.
|Accuracy and reliability|
High percentage of accuracy and reliability.
|Timeliness and punctuality|
According to the set deadlines.
According to the requirements of Regulation 91/2003/EO.
|Coherence and comparability|
|Comparability - geographical|
· For national carriages ? by region of loading and region of unloading;
· For international carriages ? by country of loading and country of unloading.
|Comparability - over time|
|Coherence - cross domain|
|Coherence - internal|
|Cost and burden|
Cost and Burden for the survey are defined according the National Statistical Program for each reference year.
|Data revision - policy|
Data revision is made when it is necessary.
|Data revision - practice|
According to rules set by Eurostat.
The information is from survey of enterprises with main activity according to NACE BG 2008 - Class 49.20 Freight rail transport.
|Frequency of data collection|
The survey is exhaustive.
By necessity validation checks of transmitted data series are made.
Data are aggregated before publishing and dissemination.