The “Education and Culture Statistics” Department (ECS) shall perform the following activities:
1. ensure the implementation of the relevant part of the NSP through methodological work in accordance with the European legislation in this area, as organize and conduct statistical surveys in the field of:
a) Statistics on education - annual surveys on activities of educational institutions (pre-primary education; basic and secondary education; vocational training after secondary education; vocational training centers; tertiary education; Ph.D.) as well as representative surveys of households and enterprises in the field of education and training;
b) Statistics on culture - annual surveys on activities of cultural institutions (museums, theaters, libraries, cinemas, radio- and television programme activity; film production, book- and publishing activity).
2. be liable for operational planning and reporting of statistical surveys in the mentioned areas;
3. carry out interinstitutional coordination with other Bodies of Statistics and institutions concerning statistics on education and culture;
4. participate in coordination and updating of legislation in the field of statistics on education and culture in accordance with the requirements of international standards and regulations of the European Commission and Eurostat;
5. prepare and disseminate statistical information in the field of statistics on education and culture;
6. conduct international exchange of statistical information in the field of statistics on education and culture; coordinate activities on data provision from other Bodies of Statistics;
7. prepare analyzes, analytical reports, methodological developments, proposals and statements in the field of statistics of education and culture within the NSI system as well as for Eurostat;
8. participate in the work of departmental and interinstitutional working groups on the issues of statistics on education and culture;
9. provide methodological support to the RSOs experts in conducting the surveys on education and culture.