National Statistical Institute
|Contact organisation unit|
Non-financial National and Regional Accounts
|Contact person function|
Head of Department
|Contact mail address|
2 P. Volov Str., Sofia 1038
|Contact email address|
|Contact phone number|
+359 2 9857 623
|Contact fax number|
|Metadata last certified||24 April 2020|
|Metadata last posted||24 April 2020|
|Metadata last update||24 April 2020|
Quarterly non-financial accounts for "General Government" and the "Rest of world" represents the economic activity of the government and non-resident units comparable to other European countries, on the basis of national accounts according to the European System of Accounts 2010 (ESA 2010). For this purpose we develop tables showing income and expenditure of the sector "General Government" and "Rest of world". Industry data are consistent with the annual data are developed on the basis of national accounts according to the European System of Accounts 2010 (ESA2010).
European System of Accounts (ESA 2010) - classification of units by institutional sectors
According to ESA 2010 institutional sector "General Government" includes the bodies of government that meet individual and collective needs of society (Central Government - ministries, departments and regional administrations, Local Government - municipalities) as well as businesses, financed and controlled by the government and centralized social security funds, institutional sector "Rest of world" includes all non-resident institutional units engaged in operations and have economic links with resident units of the national economy.
|Statistical concepts and definitions|
Bulgaria has committed to provide statistical information of Eurostat as regards the quarterly transactions "General Government" set out in the European System of Accounts (ESA2010) according to requirements of Regulation 264/2000 of 3 February 2000 the European Commission and Council Regulation 1221 / 2002 of the European Parliament and Council of 10 June 2002. Eurostat shall draw up and publish a so-called Manual on quarterly non-financial accounts for "General Government" which supplements the development of taxes and social payments on a quarterly basis.
· Sector "General Government" includes several sub-sectors in accordance with ESA 2010 : Central Government - S.1311 ( includes all units whose accounts are included in the budget of plants , universities, Bulgarian National Television, Bulgarian National Radio, extra bills, hospitals funded government and other institutional units with separate budgets), Local Government - S.1313 ( includes all municipalities, hospitals funded by them and extra -budgetary funds to municipalities ), and Social Security Funds - S.1314 ( National Social Security Institute and the National Health Insurance Fund ).
· The main source for the development of statistics on quarterly non-financial indicators of the sector "General Government" used the reports on implementation of the consolidated fiscal program provided by the Ministry of Finance. Reports on implementation of the consolidated fiscal program prepared in accordance with applicable national budget classification.
Institutional unit under ESA 2010 - budgetary institutions, non-financial enterprises reclassified in the "Central Government."
Economic territory of the country
From 1999 (Infostat)
|Unit of measure|
|Legal acts and other agreements|
· REGULATION (EU) No 549/2013 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCI of 21 May 2013 on the European system of national and regional accounts in the European Union ;
· REGULATION (EC) No 1161/2005 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 6 July 2005 on the compilation of quarterly non-financial accounts by institutional sector
Eurostat program to provide data on national accounts.
|Confidentiality - policy|
· Regulation (EC) No 223/2009 on European statistics (recital 24 and Article 20(4)) of 11 March 2009 (OJ L 87, p. 164), stipulates the need to establish common principles and guidelines ensuring the confidentiality of data used for the production of European statistics and the access to those confidential data with due account for technical developments and the requirements of users in a democratic society.
|Confidentiality - data treatment|
The date for publication of statistical information is listed in the Calendar presenting the results of the statistical surveys of NSI. The quarterly non-financial accounts for institutional sectors "General Government" and "Rest of the world" are published 3 months after the end of the reporting period.
|Release calendar access|
The calendar is available on the NSI website: http://www.nsi.bg/en/node/480
Data is published on the NSI website, section Macroeconomic statistics in accordance with the Law on Statistics and the European Statistics Code of Practice respecting the professional independence and aimed at objectivity, transparency and equal treatment of all consumers.
|Frequency of dissemination|
|Accessibility and clarity|
Electronic publication (on CD-ROM)
Data are available to all users of the NSI website under the heading Macroeconomic statistics - Non-financial national accounts by institutional sectors: http://www.nsi.bg/en/node/5550
|Documentation on methodology|
European system of accounts (ESA 2010)
· European Statistics Code of Practice;
· Common framework for quality management in the National Statistical System.
Questionnaire on the implementation of the principles of the European Statistics Code of Practice.
|Accuracy and reliability|
|Timeliness and punctuality|
T +3 months after the reporting period.
Additional information for the "General Government" is available in other subsections of section Government Finance Statistics.
|Coherence and comparability|
|Comparability - geographical|
The comparability is ensured through the implementation of common definitions of ESA 2010.
|Comparability - over time|
By using a common framework of the European System of Accounts ESA 2010, the data can be comparable over time.
|Coherence - cross domain|
Additional information on other indicators in national accounts are available in other subject areas related to national accounts.
|Coherence - internal|
|Cost and burden|
|Data revision - policy|
Providing comparable data series is accompanied by a revision of the statistical results which in most cases is in line with regulatory requirements and recommendations. The most common practice - regular revisions, followed by a change in the methodology (for a quarter of revised products) or accepted EC regulations (over a third of the revised products). Other reasons for the revisions identified by experts were: change from one classification to another (from NOC to NACE) revisions related to the notification tables for debt and deficit of the general government sector "Rest of world" concerning the updating of the population.
|Data revision - practice|
Quarterly data for the "General Government" is reviewed in the following cases:
The main sources of data for the development of sector accounts for "General Government" and "Rest of world" are:
~Macroeconomic indicators of non-financial national accounts;
~Report of income and expenses, including statistical annexes;
~ Administrative data:
- Consolidated reports on implementation of the state budget;
- Customs information;
- Tax information;
- Balance of payment;
- Additional information from ministries and agencies;
|Frequency of data collection|
Exhaustively for all units in "General Government" sector.
Quarterly bank information on the operations of non-resident and resident units.
Implementation of validated procedures for assessing data quality.
Implementation of validated procedures for assessing data quality.
Non-financial national accounts by institutional sectors (Quarterly data)
Download in SDMX 2.1 file format: Quarterly non-financial accounts for general "General government" and the "Rest of world" - General "General government" and the "Rest of the world"
Metadata Structure Definition in SDMX 2.1: ESMS_MSD+BNSI+2.0+SDMX.2.1.xml
Download in SDMX 2.0 file format: Quarterly non-financial accounts for general "General government" and the "Rest of world" - General "General government" and the "Rest of the world"
Metadata Structure Definition in SDMX 2.0: ESMS_MSD+BNSI+2.0+SDMX.2.0.xml