INTERNAL AND INTERNATIONAL MIGRATION - Immigrants, Emigrants, Migration increase, Internal migration and International migration
National Statistical Institute
|Contact organisation unit|
Population and Housing Fund Statistics Department
|Contact person function|
|Contact mail address|
2, P. Volov Str.; 1038 Sofia, Bulgaria
|Contact email address|
|Contact phone number|
+359 2 9857 553
|Contact fax number|
|Metadata last certified||06 July 2018|
|Metadata last posted||06 July 2018|
|Metadata last update||06 July 2018|
Persons who have changed their usual residence (current address) are surveyed. The registration is done at the moment of migration and the total migration is calculated as of 31.12 of the reference year. Internal migration is the change of usual residence within the country and international - the change of usual residence in Bulgaria with a residence abroad or vice versa. Migration growth of a given country territory is the difference between the immigration to and emigration from the area during the year.
· Classification of Territorial Units for Statistical Purposes in Bulgaria (NUTS);
· Unified Classification of the Administrative-Territorial and Territorial Units in Bulgaria (UCATTU);
· Classification of countries (for the international migration purposes only).
Data on migration concerns a calendar year and include all persons who have changed their current address within the country, address in the country with an address abroad and address abroad with an address in the country.
|Statistical concepts and definitions|
Migration growth of a given country territory is the difference between the immigration to and emigration from the area during the year.
Net international migration is the difference between immigration into and emigration from the country.
Migrants - total number
Regional breakdown of migrants is done according to the country administrative-territorial division as of 31.12 of the reference year - settlements, municipalities, districts and statistical regions.
On the NSI website
· 2010 - 2017 internal migration;
· 2010 - 2017 international migration.
|Unit of measure|
Number; per 1000 population
|Legal acts and other agreements|
· Regulation (EC) 862/2007;
· Law on Statistics;
· Law on Civil Registration.
Data is presented based on Regulation (EC) 862/2007 of the European Parliament and of the Council on the statistics on migration.
|Confidentiality - policy|
· Law on Statistics
· Regulation (EC) No 223/2009 on European statistics (recital 24 and Article 20(4)) of 11 March 2009 (OJ L 87, p. 164), stipulates the need to establish common principles and guidelines ensuring the confidentiality of data used for the production of European statistics and the access to those confidential data with due account for technical developments and the requirements of users in a democratic society.
|Confidentiality - data treatment|
Individual data are not published in accordance with article 25 of the Law on Statistics. The publishing of individual data can be performed only in accordance with article 26 of the same law.
Information is published annually according to the Release Calendar presenting the results of the statistical surveys carried out by the National Statistical Institute.
|Release calendar access|
The calendar is available on the NSI website: http://www.nsi.bg/en/node/480
Data is published on the NSI website, section Population (Demography, Migration and Projections) in accordance with the Law on Statistics and the European Statistics Code of Practice respecting the professional independence and aimed at objectivity, transparency and equal treatment of all consumers.
|Frequency of dissemination|
|Accessibility and clarity|
News release "Population and demographic processes".
· Population and demographic processes;
· Statistical Reference book;
· Statistical Yearbook.
Data on migration are available to all users of the NSI website under the heading Population (Demography, Migration and Projections) - Migration: http://www.nsi.bg/en/node/6683
Information System INFOSTAT Internal migration: https://infostat.nsi.bg/infostat/pages/module.jsf?x_2=32
International migration: https://infostat.nsi.bg/infostat/pages/module.jsf?x_2=38
Anonymised individual data can be provide for scientific and research purposes, and for individual request according to the Rules for the provision of anonymised individual data for scientific and research purposes.
Information service on request, according to the Rules for the dissemination of statistical products and services in NSI.
|Documentation on methodology|
· Methodology on migration: http://www.nsi.bg/sites/default/files/files/metadata/Pop_5_Metodology_migration_en.pdf;
· Manual for functioning of the Unified System for Civil registration and Administrative Service of Population.
Data on migration are presented annually to the Eurostat and others - questionnaires filled in annually.
At national and regional level the main data users are ministries, agencies, national organisations and local authorities.
Data is presented to scientific institutes, universities, NGOs and others based on requests.
No user' satisfaction surveys are carried out.
Population data is available by sex, ages (different groupings) residence (different territorial levels), citizenship and country of birth.
|Accuracy and reliability|
|Timeliness and punctuality|
Data are published up to the end of April in the year following the reference year.
Data is released according to the terms.
|Coherence and comparability|
|Comparability - geographical|
Data is collected and processed for the different territorial units using one and the same methodology and definitions.
|Comparability - over time|
Changes of the methodology and definitions for different time periods are published in the survey methodology.
|Coherence - cross domain|
|Coherence - internal|
|Cost and burden|
|Data revision - policy|
|Data revision - practice|
· Source of data on migrants is the Unified System for Civil registration and Administrative Service of Population. Migration is registered through a common USCRASP-CDS document "Change of current address";
· Source of data on permanently staying foreigners is the Register of foreigners, Ministry of Interior;
· Source of data on Bulgarians leaving the country - National Revenue Agency, declaration on refusal of health insurance rights due to absence from the country; National Social Security Institute
|Frequency of data collection|
· Monthly for USCRASP data;
· Annually- for NRA, MI and NSSI data.
Exhaustively for all migrations registered during the year.
Data on demographic events is checked and controlled before to be loaded in the IS Demography.
For successful processing, the initial notification should meet the system rules on validation and control.
The processed results are validated in respect the consistency of a single table and between the tables.
Data is processed by the IS "Demography" according to the rules for validation and control of the demographic events.